Sunday, October 4, 2009

Back to Blogging, and Reunion

One of The Girls asked if anyone had a blog. I remembered wanting to start one, and figured now would be as good time as any, since I'm in a tizzy over reunion. So I trying thinking of a title for 2 days. TWO whole days, and I'm coming up blank. Then, I figured I'll just pop over to blogger and see if they have blog name suggestions. I log in and up pops my blog. Damn! I created this over a year ago and forgot about it. It's 1 whole entry, but hey, I had a title! and a pretty creative one too, if I do say so myself.

______

So, reunion. My 15th college reunion. I have to admit, I had more fun than I thought I would have, but its probably due to Karaoke at the pool hall. More on that later...

Key info about me and my reunion:
*I went to a small geeky college in a small run-down city.
*I have an incredibly crappy memory for people I haven't seen in 15-20 years.
*I'm really good a smiling and nodding while looking at photos of people I'm supposed to know since I saw them almost every day during college. 15 years ago.
*I hate being the one having to decide what a group of 13 people are doing for dinner at 545, when we have tix for the 7 pm game.
*I am always the one having to decide what a group of 13 people are doing for dinner at 545, when we have tix for the 7 pm game.

My same core group of (geeky) friends showed, plus my BFF flew in from Cali! :) We went to the grand opening of the new football stadium/athletic center (which the school needs, cause geeks are SO athletic!), we hung out at the fair eating junk food and hit the bouncy house for my 2 boys. We went to the student union to buy some shirts, hung out there, got free pizza (yeah! I didn't have to figure out the dinner thing!), then went to the hockey game. Which, turns out, was an exhibition game. No wonder I was able to get tix the same day!

It was so disjointed and unorganized. There wasn't a class get-together, so other than the people we ran into by shear luck (and I was able to read their name tags and see the class year), I only saw people I know. Plus, college campuses aren't exactly toddler/pre-school friendly. Do you know how many times I had to say "No, you can't go play with the big boys?" But, they had fun at the hockey game, so I'm glad my boys came.

Honestly, the highlight of the weekend was hitting the local pool hall at about 10 o'clock Sat night. It was filled with LOCALS. Nice people, but, well, upstate NY locals. Hubby stayed with the boys at the hotel, so I could go out with my classmates/friends. 7 of us wander into the place, we all get drinks (for under $30!), then proceed to take over the jukebox. Then the karaoke started: Survivor, ABBA, Prince, Bon Jovi, AC/DC, George Michael, Tupac (yeah, I'm still not sure how he ended up there, but we were grooving to Tupac). It wasn't Karaoke night. We still had a blast, and I like to think everyone was laughing with us, 'cause everyone WAS laughing.

You haven't lived until you've seen an overweight almost 40 Indian geek sing "Eye of the Tiger". He wasn't half bad either!

The worst part about the weekend? BFF and I might have agreed to organize the 20 year reunion. Then I won't have anyone to bitch to! At least I've got 5 years to worry about it, right?

1 comment:

A Woman Ranting said...

LMAO @ "The Girls" ... I refer to us as the WM's.

Glad you had fun Nic ... I'm been singing Iron Man ALL WEEKEND LONG ... I shoulda stuck with ABBA too!

~K~