Thursday, October 15, 2009

Bored in the kitchen

Well, its official, I'm bored in the kitchen.

I've mentioned before that I love to cook. Honestly, I really like all of it, from the shopping, prep work, cooking, eating (ok, not the cleaning up... but who does, really?). But, I work 9+ hours per day, which doesn't include the almost 2 hour (round trip) commute. And I married one of the top 10 pickiest eaters on the planet (no cheese other than mozzarella, no cumin, nothing too spicy, nothing "weird", the definition of which varies on his mood) and we have 2 pre-schoolers, so you can imagine how easy it is to be creative in this house!

So, when I made the "exotic" meal of pan fried chicken with spicy peach salsa/bbq sauce with barley and acorn squash and apples as the sides, well, I was the only one enjoying it. And there's nothing more depressing than cooking a great meal, and then while I'm thoroughly enjoying it (sometimes, even doing a little happy dance), look around and see glum faces, or get asked for "something else".

So, the big question now, is what do I do about this? Do I resign myself to endless nights of making plain chicken, or do I cook two, or three, or God Forbid, 4 different meals? (Yeah, right!) Or do I make what I want, and have the three of them just stare at it.

Lately, the answer has been to bake. And I bring the leftovers to work, if there are any. And work always seems to enjoy my cooking. But then again, which would you rather have: devil's food cupcakes with peanut butter frosting or acorn squash and apples?


No comments: